9.21.2011

encouraging words wednesday….{service}

service has been heavy on my mind lately. perhaps it’s because our pastor spoke of it this past sunday. or maybe it’s because of this blog post or this one, wonderful reminders of what we Jesus-girls are called to do. or, more likely, God is tryin’ to tell me somethin’!

serv·ice: noun /ˈsərvis/ 1. the action of helping or doing work for someone; 2. an act of assistance

“if there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs.”
~deuteronomy 15:7-8

“she opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.”
~proverbs 31:20

“and do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased”
~hebrews 13:16

i don’t know about you but it’s sooooo easy for me to get hung up. hung up in my daily schedule and my to-do list and my family needs.

then i feel proud when i get a handle on all those things – items crossed off my list, family peace & satisfaction….and there’s no harm in that. after all, it’s what i’m called to do.

but i am also called to serve.

 

you see that compassion international widget in my sidebar? through that organization, my little man has a ‘brother’. they’re the same age and, while they’re certainly not experiencing the same life circumstances, they are both growing and learning about Jesus at the same time in the same stage of life. it’s my hope that they form a bond with one another and that little man, when he’s old enough, takes over the correspondence. maybe even embarks on a sponsor tour someday!

sponsoring a child is a worthy endeavor. but i feel i can do more.

our service doesn’t have to be grand and it doesn’t have to be financial.

a smile for someone having a bad day. help for an overburdened mom with one too many bags. an encouraging word to a friend.

i want to open my eyes and see the needs before me. both big and small. i pray that the Lord softens my heart and breaks my heart for what breaks His. i pray to be His light to another’s darkness.

and i ask y’all to pray for me, too. for a long time, it’s been on my heart to create a few pieces of jewelry that will benefit others. i’m so close to completing the design but i’m still not sure what to do with it when it’s done. please pray that i’m guided to the right person or organization.

God calls us to use our gifts, talents and blessings to bless others. how are you serving today?

No comments:

possibly (though most times NOT) related posts....

Related Posts with Thumbnails