8.24.2011

encouraging words wednesday….{confidence in our calling}

when God really wants to get a message across, He really speaks, doesn’t he? here’s what i’m talking about…

lately, i’ve been feeling that my performance as wife & mom has been a bit lacking. i’ve been reading some blogs who’s authors are women who are true blessings to their families. i have a friend who i see as the epitome of a godly wife & mother. she prays for her family, she does devotions with her children, she’s patient and encouraging and supportive…….sometimes i feel horribly because i don’t measure up to that. i’m scared to even try because i might fail.

but listen to this:

my friend has a friend who leads family praise and worship on a daily basis. my friend shared with me that she feels she doesn’t measure up! isn’t that something!?!

God has been convicting me in this area. the day after this particular conversation with my friend, i read two devotionals. can you guess what they were about? yup – being an encouraging wife and daily devotions with the family. on sunday, i read the church newsletter and there was an article written by one of the members discussing the benefits she’s seen from praying with her children every morning and doing a little devotional.

okay, God. i get it!

so, a few days ago i journaled a new plan for myself.

first, i’m going to purchase “the power of a praying wife” and “the power of a praying parent”. i’ve found that the easiest way for me to develop a habit is to begin with structure. i’m also going to research & purchase a devotional for children.

then, my plan is to rise earlier, do my devotions, get little man up and, over breakfast together, read his devotions. then he gets ready for school, gets on the bus and then i do my workout & begin my day.

that’s the plan, anyway.

but for someone who’s spent the summer getting up around 9:30, who doesn’t eat breakfast and who’s child eats breakfast in his room, it’s pretty ambitious. i tried to get up early this morning and that didn’t work out so well. i was beginning to suspect that i wouldn’t be able to pull this off.

then comes this morning’s two devotionals – all about being confident in what God has called us to do (yup, God is still speaking to me!). callings aren’t just for preachers and pastors and missionaries. my calling – at least in part– is being a godly wife and a mother. the very fact that God has blessed me with a husband and son makes it my calling. see what i’m saying?

God will equip us with the tools we need to carry out His calling! we won’t be able to accomplish it on our own strength.

“such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God”
~2 corinthians 3:4-5

it is possible for me to be a godly wife & mother. i have confidence in Him, that He will create in me the wife and mother He wants me to be. this may not be the plan for me – He may have a different idea in mind. but i have faith that He will do this.

“i can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”
~ philippians 4:13

ya feel me? God ain’t gonna leave me hangin’!

so tell me, how is God strengthening you today?

No comments:

possibly (though most times NOT) related posts....

Related Posts with Thumbnails