5.25.2009

Paying my Respects....


Today is Memorial Day. For me, it's not just about parades, picnics and a day off. I was a proud member of the United States Army and my husband, the Air Force. I was unable to complete my time in the Army because of medical reasons but I felt I still had an obligation. Some time later, I became a member of a USO (United Servicemen's Organization) Performance Troupe called the Liberty Misses. We traveled stateside and overseas, performing for our veterans and active military. I've been to Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Korea, and the Azores. I was lucky enough, as a civilian, to witness the sacrifices made for us on a daily basis. I was unfortunate enough to attend the memorial service for a fallen Marine in the middle of the desert in Kuwait.
America, as a whole, has plenty of issues. I don't think we're ever going to get everything right. But we have men and women who willingly put themselves on the line on a daily basis for the benefit of everyone in this country - even those who would spit in their face. It's an awesome and humbling concept. And today we also honor the men and women on the police force, fire deparment and emergency services. No one has forced any of these individuals to play the roles that they do. So I give them all the honor and respect that they deserve and then some.
Happy Memorial Day to all those who serve and have served, in any capacity.



1 comment:

Tammy's Treasure Chest said...

Thank you! Most people don't even stop to think what Memorial Day really is. It's not just a day off work.
My Papaw fought in WWII, and I can't imagine how horrible it must have been. He's the reason I watch war movies, and I always think, "My God, they're just babies, waking up everyday to gunfire and bombs! HOW?!"
Thank you to you, and your husband, for serving.

possibly (though most times NOT) related posts....

Related Posts with Thumbnails