1.04.2012

encouraging words wednesday....{strongholds}

nullAlign Center

a few weeks ago, our pastor spoke about strongholds and it's really stayed with me....and i mean stayed with me to the point that i am ready to admit that this message is for me.

webster defines the word stronghold as:

1: a fortified place
2: a : a place of security or survival b : a place dominated by a particular group or marked by a particular characteristic

in the first instance, a stronghold is a good thing:

"the Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom i take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold"
~psalm 18:2
but what about the second instance? looks like a good thing - but couldn't it also be interpreted differently?

..."marked by a particular characteristic..."

i would love to be marked by the characteristic of a prayerful woman. or a patient woman, even. i'd take that.

but i've got some characteristics that aren't exactly godly. i'm talking about some real issues that could be preventing me from becoming the woman God intends me to be....

willfulness
pride
judgement - of myself and others

and the list goes on (i'm all about being real, open & honest on a blog but y'all, some of this is between me and God, ya know?)

there is good and bad in the durability of a stronghold. i mean, how in heavens name do i shake this stuff?

"the weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. on the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds"
~2 corinthians 10:4
God can't get rid of my negative strongholds. after all, i'm the one who built them. i've made choices. my choices have led to tendencies, tendencies to habits and habits to a way of living.

but He gives me tools.

prayer
instruction
the Holy Spirit
even (or especially) others in my life who can open my eyes, lend support & provide accountability

"growth" is my one little word. so i will choose to dismantle these strongholds that keep me from Him and the blessings He has for me.

do you have any strongholds keeping you back?

**********************************************************
i really feel God leading me to do more than just write about encouragement. i'd like to share! if you have a post that might be encouraging to others, please link it in the comments. and i've even created a blog button you can use to link up :-)


encouraging words with bonhomie



No comments:

possibly (though most times NOT) related posts....

Related Posts with Thumbnails